Saturday, July 01, 2006

God's Faithfulness

Two weeks ago I was on our choir/mission tour with our high school kids. On the last day we served in Atlanta I was at an inner city day camp and Lisa Watkins and I had the privelege of working with the kindegarten kids. We had a great time. They played games with us and used us as jungle-gyms... it was awesome. There was a little girl that stole my heart that day and we made a special connection. It reminded me of the promise that I felt like God had made to us... that eventually we would be parents. At the lunch table in the midst of all these kids, I cried (and I can hardly see through the tears as I type this ;). Lisa listened as I told her about how tired Erica and I were getting of waiting for Him to fulfill His promise. It had been 3 years and these precious kindegarten kids were reminding me of how badly I wanted to be a dad. Lisa gave me a hug and let me cry. She reminded me that it would happen and that God hadn't forgotten.

2 days ago Lisa came and brought us dinner and she held Max. It was beautiful when today we remembered that moment in Atlanta and how God met that promise this week. It reminded me of the verse from 2 Peter 3:9 "The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness." I'm taking it totally out of context, but it was a strong reminder that God doesn't work in our timing and that God waited for this moment because the baby that he had for us is Max. WOW!! There were so many times when I was angry that He wasn't working on my timetable, and it's because He had an amazing gift for us that would come in His timing.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you
18 hours after we heard that we would be parents I was called to an impromtu meeting that actually turned out to be a baby shower. The staff had loaded the conference table with clothes and baby ammenities that we would need for the arrival of Max. It was incredible to experience that love and care.

In the past 3 days we have been flooded with meals and company from friends and all of the things that you need to have a baby in the house (clothes, toys, books etc.). The outpouring of love that we have received from our friends and church family have been AMAZING!!!


Today we stood with friends Katie and John and anointed Max with oil and prayed over him, that God would bless him and give us wisdom as we parent. I remembered the sorrow that I carried because of my impatience with God and rejoiced today as God turns that bitterness and crying to tears of joy and thanksgiving.

Thank you to the many of you who have walked, prayed and cried with us and waited for this day to come. As my friend Bonnie says, it takes a village to raise kids, and we are so blessed to have YOU as friends in our village. Thank you for the gift of meals, the baby stuff and the hugs!!

3 Comments:

At 8:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for letting us be a part of yesterday. We were blessed to get to hang out with you. John was overwhelmed with joy at annointing & blessing Max. We love you guys!

 
At 11:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been so blessed by your blessing. I have thanked God regularly since Thursday for this gift and for letting me witness it. I can't imagine two better parents. Max is one lucky kid. I hope that he feels the support of the many who love you just as so many kids feel your love and support (and their parents appreciate that so very much). I am so happy for you both.

 
At 11:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"In His time....in His time...He makes all things beautiful in His time. Lord please show me every day, as you're teaching me your way, that you do just what you say, in Your time." I can't imagine why that song popped in my head! God is good! I'm glad I get to share the joy with you after the sadness!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home